Top 5 Essentials things for Backpacking Trips
The definition of travel for many people has changed in the last few years. It’s no more about comfortable trips in luxury cars along smooth roads, admiring the passing landscape. Today people want to explore and walk down narrow trekking trails in search of undisturbed nature. This trend is prevalent, especially among the youth and increasingly with middle age folks. They are looking for backpacking trips to remote destinations that are off the beaten path and retain their magical charm.
Backpacking trips are all about the gear you carry. Because there are no pillars of civilization and urbanity among the farthest corners of the trekking route, you need to be prepared for eventualities. It can be inclement weather, sudden sickness or simply the ravages of nature. Keeping these factors in mind, we have developed a backpacking essentials list for explorers.
Here are the top 5 essentials for your backpacking trip:
- Maps: Nearly all phones have GPS trackers. You may feel maps are redundant but when trekking in the wilderness phone connectivity is frequently poor or non-existent. Without a network tower your phone is good as dead! Physical maps will guide you through the trail. Besides disconnecting from technology is good for the mind, body and soul.
- LED Lanterns: You need a light source that provides general area illumination. After sunset you will be preparing a meal or relaxing. You need light to cook or brew a warm beverage. Solar LED lanterns are the best fit for this purpose as you don’t have to carry lots of batteries, which add additional backpack weight. Remember once the batteries are depleted it’s important to properly dispose them upon return to civilization!
- Flashlights: Flashlights are necessary for backpacking adventures. Flashlights provide directional lighting enabling the ability to see the trail or distant objects at night. Also, they are essential to signal others if an emergency were to occur. If you carry solar flashlights or crank LED flashlights then you don’t need to worry about batteries going out of charge. The flashlight can be constantly recharged throughout the daytime hours.
- Medicines: If you take prescribed medications on a daily basis it’s a no-brainer that you need to carry them along. Additionally, you may need medicines for generic problems like muscle strain and headaches.
- Appropriate clothing: A comfortable backpacking trip requires proper selection of clothing to stay warm and dry from the elements. A sudden rain storm leading to soaked clothes can lead to hypothermia or sickness. Increases in elevation lead to cooler temperatures and windier conditions. Adequate clothing and footwear is essential for a safe and enjoyable adventure.
- Food: Adequate nutrition while controlling backpack weight is necessary for trips involving days on the trail. A day of backpacking burns significantly more calories than a day at the home front. Today there a numerous meal options, which are delicious to eat after a full hiking workout. Adequate food and water purification supplies are keys to a fun filled camping experience.
The beauty of experiencing landscapes only seen by those willing to get into the backcountry is a magical experience and creates memories that last a lifetime. Remember to only leave footprints!